Brethren in Christ Church Nguboyenja
“Orphan Care Ministry”
Forgotten Voices partner since 2012
- School fee payment and uniforms for approximately 35 primary and secondary school children
- Psychosocial support for 35 children
- Agricultural resources for 13 households
- Home visitation for 64 orphaned and vulnerable children and their families
- Grow volunteer team running orphan care ministry
- Expand psychosocial support for orphaned children to include recreational and counseling programs
Orphan Care Spotlight: Income Generation
Located in the oldest high density locations in the city of Bulawayo, BIC Nguboyenja has been a light in the community since 1957. The surrounding neighborhoods are characterized by small homes housing many people and families where elderly grandparents are raising their orphaned grandchildren.
A combination of entrepreneurial skills and a commitment to sustainable orphan care has led this church to become one of our first partners launching church-level income generation activities. In 2014, they began the process of establishing a taxi business to generate local revenue to fund orphan care AND fill a vital transport need in the community.
This is just the newest development in BIC Nguboyenja’s pursuit of assisting orphans and their caregivers. They also provide psycho-social support, payment of school fees, life skills training, and home based care to families. A designated committee is responsible for fundraising and distribution of food aid to HIV-infected and affected orphans in the community.