Ndeke Evangelical Church of Zambia
“Orphan Care Ministry”
Forgotten Voices partner since 2009
- School requirements paid for 24 primary and secondary school students
- Training for 20 volunteer home based care providers
- Home based care and food assistance for 20+ households
- Income generation grants for 3 widows
- Tuck shop providing employment and generating income to start sustain-ably supporting orphan care
- Well providing clean water access to the surrounding community
- Psycho social support for 60+ children
- Continue pursuing income generation initiatives to foster financial self-sufficiency of families and church ministries, with the primary focus on launching a poultry project.
- Increase revenue from the tuck shop in order to support more school fees for children
Orphan Care Spotlight: Home Based Care
While the list of meaningful ministries at Ndeke is long and impressive, HOME BASED CARE has become their hallmark ministry among orphaned and vulnerable children and families. Over the years, a group of 20+ women have dedicated their time and attention to being trained in vital skills for community work, and then pouring out their efforts into the local community. Traveling by foot or bicycle, they visit homes to assess and address the most pressing needs there – both physically and emotionally. Then in consultation with the church’s broader ministries to widows and orphans, they act. Cleaning homes, delivering food, medicine and clothing. Helping to find appropriate housing. Sitting with the sick, the dying and the grieving. They provide grief counseling, spend time in prayer and encourage struggling children and caregivers facing great loss and poverty.