If you are interested in volunteering or interning with our U.S. team, please email [email protected] with details of your skills and interests and a member of our team will respond.
Click on job position titles to expand content
Africa Program Accountant
Job Title: Africa Program Bookkeeper / Accountant
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Dillsburg office
Travel required: N/A
Salary range: $18-$22
Position Type: Non-Exempt
Desired hours: 20-25 hours
The Africa Program Bookkeeper/Accountant plays an essential role in ensuring the smooth functioning of Forgotten Voices, a nonprofit organization dedicated to demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping churches in southern Africa to meet the physical and spiritual needs of orphaned and vulnerable children in their communities. Specifically, the Africa Program Bookkeeper/Accountant will: provide administrative and accounting support to our three country offices in southern Africa and the U.S. office; serve as an internal auditor who oversees daily fiscal operations of the country offices, align in-country financial management systems with generally accepted accounting principles, organizational procedures and goals; and liaise with the Country Accountants and Country Directors and the leadership team in the U.S. office to assist in the execution of strategic priorities.
Roles and Responsibilities
Africa Financial Processing 65-70 %
- In consultation with local Country Accountants and Country Directors, initiate monthly program funds based on budget and current YTD actuals.
- Review payroll liabilities, withholdings accounts for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Oversee the monthly reconciliation of accounts payable and receivable, expense and advances accounts, and bank accounts of Forgotten Voices country offices to ensure accuracy of the general ledger within the Quick Books online accounting system.
- Review monthly petty cash and petty cash logs from the country offices ensuring compliance.
- Monitor, review and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports in collaboration with Country Accountants and Country Directors.
- Produce quarterly reports that reflect program variances of actuals vs budgets for all the country offices and assist the US office with quarterly forecasts and cashflow projections.
- Assist with ensuring compliance among the Africa staff with the financial policies and procedures.
- Oversee asset management and depreciation of country office in accordance with the organization procedures.
- Assist all Country Accountants including the US office prepare items needed for the annual audits.
- Assist in the development and implementation of accounting process controls.
- Provide technical financial support and coaching to our local accounting staff teams.
- Assist in the preparation of the yearly budget for each country office.
Africa Administrative Support – 30-35%
- Assist with ongoing Africa partnership project management tasks, including collection, compilation, and analysis of monitoring and evaluation reports, preparation of annual partnership agreements, staff contracts and other project requirements.
- Collaborate with Country Accounts to research to identify best practices, applicable local taxes to enhance our infrastructure and provide support with facilitating their integration. (Employee taxes, benefits, retirement contributions, leave etc.)
- Provide direct support to Executive Director and leadership team members as needed (i.e. monitoring reporting schedules, planning/executing of special events or projects etc.)
- Demonstrated Christian commitment and servant’s heart.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in Business, Economics, International Development, Finance, or a related field; or relevant professional experience.
- 3+ years of accounting/bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Proficient in Quickbooks online, Excel and other Microsoft Applications as well as Google Drive Applications.
- Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities with flexibility and poise.
- Strong knowledge of project management and payroll procedures a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal/external audiences of the organization.
- Attention to detail with exceptional level of accuracy.
- Ability to organize and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to adapt and work efficiently in dynamic environment with deadlines.
- Cross-culture partnership facilitation beneficial.
- Experience working in Southern Africa or with similar organizations preferred.
TO APPLY: E-mail résumé and 1-page cover letter to [email protected] with subject line: Africa Program Bookkeeper / Accountant.