If you are interested in volunteering or interning with our U.S. team, please email [email protected] with details of your skills and interests and a member of our team will respond.
Click on job position titles to expand content
U.S. Accountant / Bookkeeper
Location: Dillsburg, PA office
Travel Required: N/A
Salary Range: $18-$20/hour
Position Type: Non-exempt
Desired Hours: 20 hours/week; Workdays and hours/day schedule is negotiable at time of hire, within parameters that work will be performed in the office and work schedule will include at least 3 days per week
The Accountant plays an essential role in ensuring the accurate and effective financial management of Forgotten Voices International, a nonprofit dedicated to demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ by equipping churches in southern Africa to meet the physical and spiritual needs of orphaned and vulnerable children in their local communities. An effective Accountant for the organization will demonstrate excellent analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles, with some experience in an international setting a plus.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Financial accounting and reporting
- Maintain the general ledger to ensure accurate entry of revenue and expenses, monthly reconciliations and compliance with GAAP
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; make recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures; report on accounting discrepancies and identify solutions to avoid future errors
- Coordinate the organization’s cash flow to anticipate needs; provides regular cash flow forecasting reports
- Conduct tax reporting, organizational reporting (annual IRS 990 coordination), and end of year close-out work including depreciation, inventory/fixed asset management and annual accruals
- Provide accounting support to country offices in Southern Africa including: reviewing monthly transactions for reasonableness and accuracy, ensuring compliance with financialpolicies and procedures, assisting in the preparation and implementation of budgets, initiating of monthly program fund wires, providing technical support and guidance to the local accounting staff
- Establish tools for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual operating budget in consultation with the leadership team and finance committee of the Board of Directors
- Assist with the preparation of budgets for grant applications.
- Monitor appropriate use of funds, progress and revisions, and keep leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Coordinate the annual audit process with external auditors and the finance committee of the Board of Directors.
- Assist with internal audits of the organization’s international country offices.
- Agreement and commitment to the Christian values of the organization and to the mission of Forgotten Voices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business
- Minimum of 3 years of experience as an Accountant in a nonprofit setting (international accounting experience preferred) with responsibilities including management of financial systems and budgets, reporting, data analysis, taxation, audit oversight, etc.
- Working knowledge/familiarity with financial software including: Microsoft Office, QuickBooks (nonprofit & online versions), Concur
- Strong attention to detail with exceptional level of accuracy
- Cross-culture partnership facilitation beneficial
- Experience working in Southern Africa or with similar organizations preferred.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume via email to [email protected].
Grant / Fundraising Specialist
Location: Dillsburg, PA office
Travel Required: N/A
Position Type: Full-time / part time
The Grant Specialist plays an essential role in raising funds to support the operation of Forgotten Voices International, a nonprofit dedicated to demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ by equipping local African churches to meet the physical and spiritual needs of orphaned and vulnerable children within their communities. Specifically, the position will be responsible for prospect research, proposal writing, grant reporting and other duties related to advancing Forgotten Voices’ relationships with foundations, corporations and U.S. churches. A successful Grant Specialist will have at least 3 years of nonprofit development experience, a working knowledge of fundraising strategies and techniques, superior written and oral communication skills, strong attention to detail, ability to work on multiple deadlines simultaneously, sound judgment and professional maturity.
- Conduct research on potential funders to evaluate and make recommendations regarding prospects for unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects.
- Collaborate with Forgotten Voices Accountant to gather necessary budget information for proposals and reporting.
- Draft, edit and submit grant proposals and timely, accurate reports.
- Monitor and meet income goals throughout each fiscal year.
- Implement systems and policies to effectively manage relationships with grant funders and enhance communication between the programs, finance and engagement staff teams.
- Ensure compliance with all grant reporting required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Maintain grant/funder records in electronic database and files.
- Provide regular reporting on prospects, current funders and funding trends.
- Provide background information to support foundation cultivation and stewardship efforts (phone calls, personal note, etc.) by Executive Director.
- Provide written material for organization’s website, electronic communications, newsletters, etc.
- Assist with other fundraising and communication projects as needed.
TO APPLY: Submit resume, cover letter and 2-page writing sample (preferably a grant application excerpt) by email to [email protected].